Wednesday, August 29, 2007

In Dire Need of Desks

When I was in the fourth grade all of us children had those little kiddie sort of desks. You know the kind that’s a chair attached to a desk with screws so that you have this sort of immovable chair/desk combination? Well, as I kid I always wondered why we had such inflexible desks in school in the first place when we were all so accustomed to eating at tables that had movable chairs. I mean, why force children to sit in such cramped, fixed furniture? What guides the school district's decision in propagating such stringent furniture? I thought about these questions for awhile (because apparently I don’t have a life) and I came up with a few reasons for such desk dispersion:

1) Fixed desks keep children fixed. In movable chairs children can move around r View the rest of this article


No comments: